Once in a Lifetime--or Twice

 

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

April 8, 2024, saw a great portion of North America see a Total Solar Eclipse, where the moon comes between the Earth and the Sun, and 'blocks' the sun from the Earth for almost five minutes. When total, the Moon completely blocks the Sun, with a small 'ring' of light while those under this totality see the temperature drop and complete darkness.

I've never seen a total Total Solar Eclipse. 

I've been close: in August of 2017, my area was in '95% totality', meaning almost the entire Sun would be blocked and we would have near darkness. We were excited, elated, and made big plans, my student and I, for that day. We went to the local diner and had burgers, fries, and milkshakes, a huge treat for us since her mom rarely allowed such 'junk' food. We made a pinpoint protector from a cereal box and got the special glasses. We were so excited as we sat on a blanket and waited.

Well, it did get a bit dimmer, it did get a bit cooler (there was also a nice breeze, so this probably helped), but the complete, "It was as dark as midnight!" several friends in 100% totality reported didn't even come close. My student and I were greatly disappointed.

April 2024 was no different. Reported to be in '87% totality' I approached the event the same way as in 2017: Excited, telling everyone I knew, posting all over social media (which for me, at least, didn't exist in 2017 near to the extent I now use it) and getting special glasses.

And it was cloudy. But between the clouds, as seen in the title photo, the sun was gorgeously bright.

The Eclipse did make things dim: It was a weird not day, not night, not dawn, not dusk, sort of light that is hard to describe. The air and light appeared grey-brown. I held my iPad up and hit 'take' every few seconds. This is what I captured (I know, I know, I'm no photographer):






So, as you see...the Sun still had the brightness...but it looked BLUE. CAROLINA BLUE. So this fact thrilled the heck out of me, living in the Carolina Blue Tarheel state (yes, I am easily and simply amused). But quite, quite different from images others around North America captured:

Photos By WGRZ Buffalo



Maybe one day I will drive to where the Total Solar Eclipse is 100%. And it would be a drive for me, as the next Total Solar Eclipse in August 2044 will only be visible in three US states (Montana, North & South Dakota) & Canada. There's another in the US in 2045, across the lower half of the US, and almost all of Florida, so maybe I could drive ten hours down there.

It is for once in a lifetime, after all.

In the meantime...I will just have to content myself looking at other people's gorgeous photos, hearing their stories, and watching my favorite Eclipse movie: Ladyhawke, starring a pre-Ferris Bueler Matthew B, a young Michelle P, and a gorgeous Rutger H.



Comments