TUESDAY TEASER....(of a different sort)

Most Tuesday Teasers are for book promos. This one...is a bit different. This 'teaser' is a food one, using an old Southern tradition. Try this out :)

Old Fashioned North Carolina Southern Barbeque



First, let me say there's debate which type of meat works best: pork or beef. It's a matter of choice. I used pork in this one, but beef would work, as well. Spices are another thing which are individual to taste, so sub where you like.

THE MEAT:

2-5 lbs pork shoulder or roast, fat trimmed (this is important unless you like 'greasy')

1/2 cup water  (some use coke, ginger ale, apple juice, cider-- it's personal choice)

Slow Cooker ('crock pot')

Spices (I used: 1 tb black pepper, 1 tb garlic, 1 ts cayenne, 1 tb oregano & 1 tb rosemary)

Spray Slow Cooker with non stick spray. Add meat. Add spices to meat, then turn over and add spice to other side of meat. Pour water over the top. Cover and cook on LOW 10-12 hours until meat is 'soft' and shreds.

NOTE: Slow cooker times can vary GREATLY. Depends on their size, their age, etc. I cook this at night, and put the meat in around 7PM. When I got up around 5AM, the house smelled incredible but the meat wasn't 'shredding', so I left it another 2 hours and it was perfect.

Remove meat from slow cooker, trim away any fat, and shred with two forks.

SWEET CAROLINA SAUCE

Yes, I think my sauce SWEET not spicy or vinegar based.  Matter of taste. :) Though the vinegar based folks obviously have some screws loose...just sayin'.

This is just ONE of many versions. It's the one my Grandmother used, and I love it. With the cayenne in the meat, this sweet sauce gives a 'bite' that's not 'OMG WTH is this burning my lips, mouth and throat off'.



8 oz tomato paste (I make my own--4 roma tomatoes blended in a blender to liquid)

2 Tb brown sugar

2 Tb Honey

1 TB dark molasses

2 TB yellow mustard

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on MEDIUM HIGH heat until boils, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to LOW, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.

Pour sauce over shredded meat and mix well. Serve on any kinds of bun or bread (the 'Texas toast sort, toasted is AWESOME). Some add coleslaw, shredded lettuce, shredded broccoli, etc.

Simple and easy :)

Comments